Provisioning configurations assets template problem

Hi,

I am not sure if it is a bug or not. But at the Provisioning configurations I can’t seem to save my assets template. I’ve tried the example given in the guide, and less complex assets templates. It won’t save my assets template and won’t create a new asset when new user is connected.

Is this a bug? or did I do something wrong.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

The provisioning configs are working fine in; appreciate getting the asset template may not be the easiest process and there may have been inaccuracies in the wiki page which I have now updated:

Please let us know if this helps you get it working.

Hi,

Thanks for updating the wiki made it a lot clearer. But it seems I still have the same issue. I can’t create a new provision or save an existing provision if my assets template has json content. Without content it can create a new one.

If an provision is already created, I can’t edit it and change settings like disabled, ignore expiry date, create restricted user and asset template.

Hope this explains the issue?

Apologies there was a bug within the provisioning page which I had fixed but not pushed yet; the fix is now pushed so try a manager image newer than this post.

No worries, I can create now new provision with with the assets template containing content. So that part is working. The saving/ editing part seems still not to work for me. But for now I can live with creating it right the first time.

Update

After several different tries it seems that the assets won’t be added.

Saving/editing provisioning configurations works fine for me (the UI doesn’t show any indication which we should change), look in your browser network tab (Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+R) and save should send a PUT request to the backend, if that is failing then look at the manager logs for info.

Also I have confirmed locally using MQTT Box that assets are created; if your’s are not what response do you get on the provisioning response MQTT topic (provisioning/UNIQUE_ID/response)?

Hi Rich,

Sorry for the delayed response, I do see indeed that it is saved. But as you already said there was no feedback so I thought it did not change.

The creation of an asset is still a “problem”. It won’t create a new assets. The response I get is: {"type":"success","realm":"realm"}

EDIT

I’ve succesfully create one new asset. But if I try to create a new asset with the same autoprovision configuration, the response is the already created asset. I’ve tried changing the name and ID from %UNIQUE_ID% to something random. But it won’t create a new asset.

Second edit
The Unique id is given in the CA cert. Does this mean that for every new device a CA cert should be generated to be able to create new assets through autoprovision?

The %UNIQUE_ID% is used to calculate the asset ID so each client that connects must be unique which does indeed mean a client certificate per client, this is standard X.509 client authentication, it does put a burden on the flashing side but I know companies like espressif offer cert provisioning service which is what one of our clients is using.

There’s lots of ways to go here; we have also put an alternative HMAC authentication mechanism on the backlog for a less secure but easier to rollout alternative but don’t know when we might get to implement this.

Thanks for all the help and this clarification. Hopefully the HMAC authentication will be available soon :slight_smile: