UI elements appear tiny on Android devices

Hi all,

I've searched everywhere including my soul and I can't find a solution to my issue.

I've installed OR and git it running fine on my JVM. I am able to create and sync a panel to my HTC One M9+ as well as an Acer 7in tablet.

The issue in facing is that when I select my controller on the app, the icons appear tiny in the top left hand corner. Really tiny. This happens on both devices so I'm thinking the issue may be on my OR setup.

If anyone could help with this issue it would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wit's end with it.

All the software is the latest.

Many thanks

Hi

My gut reaction is to ask about screen / panel sizes.

You can just the X&Y zoom function in the Android app to get a quick fix, but the best thing to do is create a custom panel that suits your device's screen resolution.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that you've used the default Android panel, which will appear tiny on modern devices.

I've got a simple custom panel set to 2000 x 2000 pixels, which has a grid image placed on both the landscape and portrait views. ( Not as a background)

The first thing I do with a new device is a quick idiot check against tjis panel to confirm that the screen resolution I think the device has is what OpenRemote should be using.

For day to day use, across multiple device's, I've got a mid sized panel that I zoom in or out from to suit the device I'm using.

That said, there is a caveat.

The switch images don't zoom very well, so try to avoid large zoom compensations.

FYI, there are already a number of topics on this very subject, so do a little searching for plenty more information.

Good luck

FYI

HTC One M9

Screen resolution - 1,080 x 1,920, 441ppi

Acer 7 inch tablet
The tablet comes with a 7.00-inch display with a resolution of 1280 pixels by 800 pixels at a PPI of 216 pixels per inch

I found this information with a quick Google search

Hi Craig,

In reply to your email asking how I had created the 2000 x 2000 screen size test -

If you sign into OpenRemote designer and go to the designer tab.

Please check you have the panel section open and click on NEW.

From the drop down, choose "Custom Panel"

In the pop up window, enter 2000 in both the screen width and height.

Close that window and select the newly created custom panel.

Now click on NEW again, and select "NEW screen from Template"

If you select "PUBLIC" in the template popup, you'll be able to find a template I've just submitted by entering "2000x2000" in the keyword section.

Please let us know how you get on.