help with velbus on Raspberry Pi 3

hi everyone, i’ve got the controller running on the Pi, but now for the nextstep i could use some help with installing a velbus server,( witch one and how to) , i’am new with the Raspberry but willing to learn.
So if someone feels interrested ?

with regards steven

Good morning Steven,

There are a couple of Velbus TCP servers that you can use with Linux based systems.

This Velbus forum talks about Velserv and JVelbusD.

http://forum.velleman.eu/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=6199&p=83759&hilit=JVelbusD#p83759

There seems to be more chatter about JVelbusD.

I've opted to support JVelbusD as best I can, although I must make it clear that I'm not the author of this software.

Towards the end of the thread there are notes detailing how to get it up and running.

Please post questions at the end of that thread for help from the other Velbus users and support team, then we can post useful information here.
Which I can add to the OpenRemote Wiki.

https://github.com/openremote/Documentation/wiki/Velbus

On the whole, you should find the setup of JVelbusD quite straightforward, as long as you pay close attention to the little details.

Good luck

Stuart

MDAR Ltd

Hi

I've created a page with instructions for installing JVelbusD

Please let me know if there are any changes needed, or if you have any tips I can add.

https://github.com/openremote/Documentation/wiki/JVelbusD-installation-instructions

Cheers,

Stuart

hi Stuart,
i read the topic on the forum and followed these steps, but i ran into an error, now with your instructions i still got the same errors (see the screenshot of the error).

on the PI ive got the jdk-8-oracle installed, and i have changed the path to were the rxtxComm has to be coppied to

“cp /usr/share/java/RXTXcomm.jar /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hlft/jre/lib/ext”

Hello

Well, if you followed the instructions clearly, it 'should' work....

I'm not familiar with Pi, but I assume it's very similar to Debian Jessie???

What happens if you sudo the command to start JVelbusD?

(Without a & at the end you'll loose your command prompt until you exit JVelbusD)

Otherwise, what happens if you specify the path to RXTXcomm.jar in the command?

Something like

sudo java -jar Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hlft/jre/lib/ext jvelbusd.jar

Sorry, that should be

sudo java -jar -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hlft/jre/lib/ext jvelbusd.jar

hi ,
still no luck, i think its in step 4 that there is someting wrong ,the path that is listed as the java.library.path = /usr/java/packages/lib/arm , and when willing to go there (cd) i get the message that the pad doesn’t exists

Looks like the oracle java installer didn’t create that directory despite adding it to your java library path. You can just mkdir to create the folder then copy the rxtx file over to it or put it in one of the other two directories on the library path.

Out of interest, why are you using oracle java rather than openjdk?

It came with installing Rasbian on the raspberry pi.

hi everyone,
i just want to let know that i finaly got OpenRemote and velbus working on a Raspberry Pi3, not with the JVelbusD server but with velserver and got them running after reboot.

thanks to Jani and Stuart ( and google) for pointing the direction

Congratulations :slight_smile:

I had the opposite experience with Velserv and JVelbusD, but I'm really happy that you've got it all running.

If you have the time, could you write a How-to for Velserv & RaspberryPi that I can drop into the Velbus how-to ?

So the next step is getting OpenRemote to do everything you want with your installation.

Please start another thread or continue threads with the topics you'd like some assistance with, I'll keep me eyes peeled and do everything I can to help.

Good luck,

Stuart

MDAR Ltd