How to deploy to a remote host

Hi. I have a custom deployment working OK in my local Mac and starting the containers using:

MANAGER_VERSION=custom docker-compose up -d

But when doing the exact same thing in a DigitalOcean Ubuntu (tried v18.4 and v20.4) I get the error:

Error response from daemon: manifest for openremote/manager:custom not found: manifest unknown

By using MANAGER_VERSION=latest it runs ok but my custom assets are not loaded.
Looks like a evil daemon :japanese_ogre: don’t know my custom flag. Any suggestions please. :roll_eyes:

Is your mac ARM based and DigitalOcean AMD or vice-versa? Anyway, you can either use the same CPU architecture or like the latest manager use double architecture.

Customisations are generally loaded using a deployment docker image which generates a named docker volume that is volume mapped into the manager container.

This is shown in the custom project template repo but if you have just forked and modified the main openremote repo then you can look at (profile/demo.yml) to see what happens.

You cannot use the tag custom on some host and expect that to exist in the docker registry which is why you see the error:

Error response from daemon: manifest for openremote/manager:custom not found: manifest unknown

deployment docker images don’t ever get pushed to public docker registry and should be copied/loaded onto your docker host using docker save/load and scp, you can see usage of this in our own CI/CD deployment script .ci_cd/deploy.sh

Hi michal
Many thanks for you quick reply.
My Mac is Intel and DigitalOcean was AMD so I changed to be both Intel but still did not worked.
I followed Rich and a few try and error I got it working. :+1:

Hi Rich
I follow your instructions by using save/load and scp so I managed to transfer the Docker images from Mac to DigitalOcean Linux.
The docker-compose.yml was uploaded as well.
But for the deployment image I just upload the actual deployment folder to Linux, then run docker-compose up -d and now everything works! :smiley:
Hope this is a valid way to do it, at least it’s very easy do custom changes in that folder.
Many thanks. Always learning.

1 Like

Glad to hear you got it working.

Of course scp the actual deployment folder and volume mapping that is fine :slight_smile: