Installation options - ARM Raspberry Pi

Hi there. I really like the look of the product. I wondered is there a way to do a manual installation without using dockers? I want to test it on a soc system

I’m afraid that a docker is a must. Can you write exactly why you want to use it without docker? We provide multi-arch images for both intel and arm processors. Are you constrained by resources or you have an architecture where there is no docker? What is the system you want to test it on?

I was thinking raspberry pi. I know it doesn’t support virtualisation though, so assume it won’t work

We do have successful installs on Raspberry Pi. @Don just ordered one and installed OR3 very recently. Using even Raspbian which is arm/v7. Where do you learn that RP does not support virtualisation?

Sorry my misunderstanding. I guess earlier versions may not have. Anyway, that’s great news! I have a spare RP3. Do you think that has enough grunt or. should I order a 4?

Personally I do have docker running on RP3 although not with OpenRemote as my 1G RAM is on a low side. I did run OR3 with as little as 512M RAM but with enabled swap file. I wouldn’t do this on RP though, as swap would wear down the SD card pretty fast. Therefore it is better to have a device with at least 2G RAM but 4 or even 8G is better. As for today, 8G is enough on our largest smart city deployments, therefore you have enough power for your IoT app hosted on RP4.

Also, RP4 comes with arm/v8 OS preinstalled and it is better to re-flash it with aarch64 OS. This will allow you to use the full blown keycloak authentication, because keycloak image is only available for aarch64. On arm/v8 you would have to resort to basic authentication.

Perfect. Thanks for the info!!

There’s some info on installing the stack on arm in this wiki page:

arm64 is a must as you need a jre that supports jit compilation, things might have changed since I last looked but the only 32bit jit runtime for arm was Oracle’s which we can’t use in our images due to licensing but individuals are free to build images using it if not for commercial use.

Hi @scm7mae,

I’ve used this wiki page to get OR running on the Raspberry Pi 4 (4Gb). I started at step 4, and I’m not sure whether I followed step 6 as described, or this page by Docker, or sudo pip3 install docker-compose
Anyway, the rest of the setup shows how to get OR running without keycloak, which I don’t need for my setup.

Good luck and let me know if you get stuck!

Don

1 Like

Hi @Don @michal,

I was wondering if you could help? I’ve got as far as arch64 on a new RPi4 and trying to setup OR3, but when trying to use the following command, I get this error output:

docker-compose -p openremote up

Pulling keycloak (openremote/keycloak:12.0.1.0)…
12.0.1.0: Pulling from openremote/keycloak
ERROR: no matching manifest for linux/arm/v7 in the manifest list entries

Any ideas?

It seems that you still are on arm/v7 system. What do you see when you do uname -a?

5.10.27-1-ARCH #1 SMP Tue Apr 6 19:10:41 UTC 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux

I assume I’ve downloaded the wrong release of Arch Linux arm??

Hi.

Ok so I’ve managed to get it working. I installed raspbian 64bit, then followed the standard installation instructions. Works with no issues!

Rgds,

Mark

2 Likes

Yes indeed, on aarch64 the response should be something like (this one is from AWS t4g instance with their custom silicon):

Linux ip-172-1-0-55 5.4.0-1041-aws #43-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 19 22:06:27 UTC 2021 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

uname -m gives you the exact OS architecture.