Manage Teltonika devices through Openremote API

I’m just here to see if there are already people tried or used OpenRemote to manage Teltonika devices (eg FMC650) through this API, and how your experience is, any pitfalls, …

What I have todo through API is to toggle on/off gps data sending to server or not.

Thx a lot in advance, Kristof

Hello Kristof,

I’m the developer of the fleet management integration for OpenRemote that supports Teltonika Telematics devices.

Currently, we’ve opted for a generic approach, meaning that there is a basic OpenRemote-to-device communication.

This basically means that you can send SMS messages to a device by updating the sendToDevice attribute on a given CarAsset. Hence, you can toggle GPS data etc by sending a command to the device.

This feature was mostly introduced to allow for minimal adjustments to the configuration of the device and to read certain data like ggps or obdinfo. It’s of course possible to introduce some functionality that updates the sendToDevice attribute automatically using rules.

So basically, if you can write the SMS command you want to send, you can send the command to the device.

Let me know if that helps!

Hi Panos

So, basically there is no straight API then, even with the FOTA web API in between.
And sending SMS’es, I can do this already straight to the simcard that is in the device.
So I think using this OpenRemote is overkill. Not?

However, I was considering to use the simcard delivered through Teltonika, from Truphone, but SMS MO Service is disabled, to say sending SMS’s to the device.

Do you guys know some (better) other European simcard services? I’m using Twilio simcards (sending/receiving SMS is enabled by default) as backup in the device, but way too expensive to have them as main simcard connection.

I may have not been clear, I’m talking about “commands”, meaning the format that Teltonika uses when you send a message to the device. Those messages, when sent over OpenRemote, are delivered over MQTT, not through SMS, in the same way described here. So you do not incur any charges by using this, and we are not dependent on a device receiving SMS commands.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “straight” API, and OpenRemote does not use the FOTA web API. What exactly are you looking for?

I cannot recommend any SIM card providers, unfortunately.

Ooh, thanks to clarify this. Much clearer yes.

Ha, I thought to have read that OpenRemote needs to be connected too to the Fotaweb API, in order to pass through the commands.
How and where do you setup then the FMC650 to communicate with OpenRemote server?
In the server section of an FMC650 for example, there is this screen for example, but that is only for pushing data to the server

Or are data/commands sent to the tracker through the MQTT protocol direction IP of the tracker?
Is there a demo server I can connect a testtracker and play with it?

The need we have here is:

• replace traccar.org tracking server we use to push gps data and pass through application via API with openremote
  • manage parameters of devices, mostly to toggle on/off the GPS data acquisition

THx for all the input!

There are no other dependencies other than an OpenRemote installation. Everything was created using public Teltonika Telematics documentation. You simply configure the device to send data to the OpenRemote server and the data is read automatically.

Unfortunately there is no demo installation for this, but it is very easy to get up and running.

What I suggest you do, is go through the fleet management wiki. There is a tutorial, and everything is explained in-depth. If your device’s firmware has the capability of the MQTT protocol, then setup is quite easy, but there is an alternative if you don’t, which is described in the tutorial.

Since (from what I understand) you are planning to use this as an API to your own service, I would recommend to take a look at the OpenRemote documentation, so that you understand how to be the most efficient when it comes to your implementation.

Best of luck!

@vanbernaert also, I recommend you look at Teltonika AVL Parameter Parser ‐ What, How, When, and Why · openremote/fleet-management Wiki · GitHub, since you would need to parse the Teltonika parameters from the Teltonika wiki to have full automatic parameter detection.