How to custom app deployment help

Hello @Don @Rich @martin.peeters,

I would like to do custom app deployment and following instructions at User Guide: Custom deployment · openremote/openremote Wiki · GitHub

1. Prepare your environment

For that I have setup a new separate windows machine with docker desktop installed on it as per first preparing the environment requirement for custom app deployment.

2. Clone your repository from the [custom-project template](GitHub - openremote/custom-project: Template repo for creating an OpenRemote custom project).
Then initialize and update the openremote submodule with git submodule init and git submodule update --rebase --remote from your custom project directory after cloning the repo. This is easiest if you have an SSH-key in your Github account

I am stuck here how to clone, where to clone and then initialize and update the openremote submodule? Any further help will be appreciated on this.

As described in the wiki; “Clone your repository from the custom-project template.”
If you are not fimiliar with Git: aka using git clone <url> in a folder you want the project to be in.

As described in the wiki, you should execute git submodule init to let Git recognise there is a submodule in place. And to execute git submodule update --rebase --remote to clone / pull the code from the openremote repository.

If you don’t know what Git submodules are; as quoted in a quick google search:

“Git submodules allows you to keep a git repository as a subdirectory of another git repository.
Git submodules are simply a reference to another repository at a particular snapshot in time.”

Hello @martin.peeters, thank you very much for your valuable support. I really appreciated it. :slightly_smiling_face: and hope for the same to keep continuing with your help in order to deploy and run my custom app project successfully under your valuable guidance. :+1:

Well…! please allow me some time to get a bit familiar with Git cloning process and try to workout with cloning on repository from the custom-project template.” to newly setup local machine and update you with the same. Thanks.

Hello @martin.peeters, I have successfully cloned repository from the custom-project template to the desired folder/directory as shown the screenshot herein:
custom app_Screenshot_1

Secondly, As described in the wiki, i tried to execute git submodule init command to let git recognize there is a submodule in place, but sorry to say that its not working and getting an errors as mentioned in the screenshots herein:
custom app_Screenshot_2
custom app_Screenshot_3

Please assist further what am i missing and how to fix this to run git submodule init command successfully next . Thanks.

Hello @martin.peeters, Fixed the issue of initialize and update the openremote submodules in custom project directory. Second step cleared to run my custom project :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

Next, I am stuck and confused a bit in the third step. Please assist on this.

Set up your IDE. Note that Application run configurations are already prepared when using this template.

Please let me know IDE setup must be required first in order to run this application or can I run the application directly as its already mentioned “Application run configurations are already prepared” and can setup IDE later to start with customization process? Please let me clear.

Use docker-compose -f profile\dev-testing.yml up --build -d and run the ‘Custom Deployment’ configuration.

Okay! I’ll run the above mentioned command in the command prompt for the docker container setup, but confused what ‘Custom Deployment’ configuration run next? Please clear. Thanking you.

This is enough support, as it is everything described in the wiki. If you want further support, then you have to pay for it. Enough for now!
I have never experienced an user like you!

(I‘m not an OpenRemote employee)

But what you are doing is just waste time by the support members, since your questions are all described in the wiki!

Like mentioned already: send an email to info@openremote.io

I am not an OpenRemote employee.
Then write an email to: don@openremote.io
@Don

Hi @kpin404
Have you tried with the contact form at the botton of this page?

Yes! I have contacted on this page and waiting for the response. Thanks for your feedback.

I have run docker-compose -f profile\dev-testing.yml up --build -d command as per custom project deployment next step and come out with this outcome as in the screenshot herein:

It still keep under waiting. Any idea what its waiting for now? Should I ignore it and as per the custom deployment 's next step do I execute the command with npm run serve -- --env config=..\..\..\..\deployment\manager\app . ? Thanks.

I answered you on the 13th of June :slight_smile:

Okay! Thanks. Got it. Replied you back please have check. Thank you very much.:slightly_smiling_face:

Hello @martin.peeters @Don @Rich, Here is the further development with my custom deployment setup process.

As a first time user with IntelliJ IDEA and still keep learning a hard way with setting up openremote custom deployment project I have tried to managed to set up the IDE with IntelliJ IDEA and import custom deployment project in a IDE as per steps described in the wiki for Custom deployment.

Herein the screenshots for the setup:

Even after keep following wiki step-by-step and setup IDE configuration is same as per the wiki setup and run the ‘Custom Deployment’. build gets failed and still getting errors. Could you please keep support me with further steps to workout on these errors that how to fix these errors? Thanking you and hope for your further support on this.

Hello, custom deployment done successfully :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks @Pierre encourage me by liking my custom project deployment environment and IDE setup and run it successfully after keep learning and make it work to setup a hard way and still keep learning OpenRemote :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello @martin.peeters, Now I have successfully setup and run custom project deployment setup as per the custom deployment wiki guide having two containers running in Docker, and the manager through IntelliJ IDEA IDE and looking at the manager on http://localhost:9000/manager/ (log in with admin/secret). Thank you once again for your valuable support and I really appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

Next, this is from our previous discussed post, which is now locked so I am briefing here to get a bit review for you it again here please.

Yes! I did make it work and solve this by customizing the index.html file manually. Thanks a lot for this again :slightly_smiling_face:

Secondly, as login page works through keycloak and can be customized from there as did in the demo app. I would like to customize a bit the login page logo and associated text same here in custom project app also. Could you please assist me where would be the path to get in the submodule directory of openremote for /keycloak/login/template.ftl file customization? as I searched in every directory of cloned custom-project template including with openremote submodule, but sorry to say that I didn’t get it anywhere there. Thank you once again for your cooperation and further support on this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi, as Denis pointed out earlier please check the wiki’s and code, to get answers on these questions. We expect users to thoroughly go through these first before raising questions here, not taking too much time of contributors on this forum. As shared we can offer additional professional support, contacting us at info@openremote.io.

1 Like

Hello @Pierre , Okay! I got it and understand your concern very well :slightly_smiling_face:

I think for a user like developer its easy to go through to understand these and do custom setup, but for a non-developer end-user, like me from another field, who is interested in OpenRemote platform and its custom implementation, it might seems a bit confusing, overwhelming and hard to understand the point-to-point wiki’s documentation if you’re not familiar with an application development background. Hope you understand my concern and won’t mind at all :slightly_smiling_face:

Secondly, regarding additional professional support for custom app deployment setup guide I have mailed it again at info@openremote.io. Please have check the mail and revert back on this please. Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face: