Migration from Designer 2.1x to 2.5

Good news! We (actually Eric) found a way to export your project from version 2.1 (the previous Free Designer) into version 2.5. For users of version 2.4 (previous version of the Professional Designer), you can safely upgrade and login with you existing account in version 2.5.

The migration server might cause issues for some accounts and/or some protocols are missing in 2.5. Please report any issues, so we can look into it, but no guarantees. Depending on amount of requests and required effort we will try and solve any issues.

To allow users to migrate their design from the 2.1 designer to the new 2.5 one, we did set-up a migration server: https://designer-migration.openremote.com
This server contains a backup of the 2.1 database as of June 23rd.
Users can log in using their 2.1 designer username and password and download an export of their configuration.
This configuration can then be imported into a 2.5 account on https://designer.openremote.com. Note that an import will completely replace the existing configuration.
Please only use this migration server for exporting your configuration and don’t do any design work on it.
This server is only temporary and will be eventually shutdown depending on the migration needs.
Data on this server might also be replaced with the same or another backup depending on the needs.
In that case, we will post appropriate information in this thread.
Known issues

Due to a previous bug in the 2.1 designer, we have occasionally observed an error (error 500) when doing the export.
If this is the case, please report the issue indicating your username, re-trying the download does not fix the issue.

Some protocols that are present in 2.1 are not available in 2.5.
In that case, your configuration might not import correctly or you will not be able to modify any of the commands for those protocols.
If this is the case, please report which protocol is causing an issue for you.
We do not promise to include all the missing protocols but will evaluate based on the received feedback.

Hallo,

After trying to migrate my 2.1 designer version i got the

ERROR
500 The call failed on the server; see
server log for details

My username is peterkasper.
Please help me to migrate my existing layout to the newest version.

Thanx Peter

In exporting I got the 500 error message. My user name is wraymond6134

If you have tried the migration server to migrate from 2.1 to 2.5 (see post by Eric) and have NOT faced any issues, we appreciate if you can share that with us as well. We are aware of the error 500 issue, while using the migration server, but we want to get a better picture on how frequent this issue arises. So please keep posting issues you are facing but definitely share with us if the migration worked for you.

Thanks – Pierre

Sure -

No issue in exporting from 2.1 and importing it in the 2.5 designer.

Just need to switch to the 2.5 Controller still though! :slight_smile:

Regards

OD

I get the 500 error. My user name is desertdog.

Hi,

Also Error 500 after login.

Username = diridi

Greetz,

Dirk

error 500

username: icefluffy

Error 500

Username: slockyer

Hi there,

i finale got the time to start migrating from 2.1 to 2.5 (tis my holiday and its raining)

I have got the same error 500 when trying to export my configuration.

My username is bartgroot

Hi,
Trying to migrate my project from 2.1 designer to Pro and this is what I have done so far

1) I logged into 2.1 designer and exported my project (user franksylvia)
2) I logged into the migration website and noticed that it wasn't up to date so I imported the export zip from designer 2.1 but received the following error...

"There was an implementation error in Designer while restoring your account data. The system administrators have been notified of this issue. To prevent potential damage to your data, further modifications have been disabled until the admins have cleared the issue. Do not make changes to your designs or configuration during this period, as these changes may get lost. For further assistance, please contact support. (Error Message : Restoring your account data has failed. Please contact an administrator for assistance. Avoid making further changes to your account and design to prevent any potential data corruption issues: No row with the given identifier exists: [org.openremote.modeler.domain.DeviceCommand#22073120]; nested exception is org.hibernate.ObjectNotFoundException: No row with the given identifier exists: [org.openremote.modeler.domain.DeviceComm"

Any thoughts on what I need to do next ?

Thanks
Frank

I also got a 500 error

2.1 designer username = franksylvia
Pro Designer username = frank.smith

Can you help ?

I tried the migration.

I didn’t get error 500. The design loaded, but I could not download the zip file.

username: mdarwin

MD

Nevermind… getting the error 500 now.

The design was originally from http://composer.openremote.org/preview/login.jsp

MD

Hello,

i am using the staging designer https://composer.openremote.org/staging/login.jsp and exported the zip file succesfully, but i could not import it into the migration server https://designer-migration.openremote.com >

error: “There was an implementation error in Designer while restoring your account data. The system administrators have been notified of this issue. To prevent potential damage to your data, further modifications have been disabled until the admins have cleared the issue. Do not make changes to your designs or configuration during this period, as these changes may get lost. For further assistance, please contact support. (Error Message : Restoring your account data has failed. Please contact an administrator for assistance. Avoid making further changes to your account and design to prevent any potential data corruption issues: No row with the given identifier exists: [org.openremote.modeler.domain.DeviceCommand#22073120]; nested exception is org.hibernate.ObjectNotFoundException: No row with the given identifier exists: [org.openremote.modeler.domain.DeviceComm”

also my username could not be found at https://designer.openremote.com , but is found in the migration server.

username: robke

H,
Just trying to figure out the correct process here.. we seem to be getting very little from OR on this one.. not even sure if all the issues reported above have been fixed...

I have a 2.3 project.. (it has been modified quite a bit since june 23rd since the blanket copy was completed by Eric)
Could somebody confirm if my understanding is correct..
Step 1) I export from the free designer (lets call this zip1)
Step 2) I import this zip1 into the 'migration designer'
Step 3) I check all is okay and export that zip (lets call this zip2)
Step 4) I then import this zip2 into the pro designer.

assuming all works and I get no errors I am complete

Is this the right process or have I all mixed up...
If I get an issue I email support at openremote dot org

thoughts / support appreciated

My impression was to log into the migration server with the old credentials. The design should already be there (mine is… though I get 500 error sometimes). Export the zip file (which I can’t do) and then import it into the 2.5 designer.

Maybe my design to too large to export… dunno. I have tried a few times…no luck

MD

Hello,

Some, like me have their own standalone Designer installation of 2.1.

Is there way to import this into the 2.5 Designer or into a standalone installation of 2.5?

Is there somewhere a version of the “Migration Server” one can compile and run it as standalone server to produce a zip file that can be imported into 2.5?

Best wishes

Gideon

I would also like to know how we can get hold of an up to date Migration Server for standalone use - or how to load my old version 2.1 project in to the migration server so as to be able to export it for version 2.5

Currently if I try to import my old project into the migration site i get a load of errors and it doesnt work and the version on the migration box is way out of date and useless to me.